



5th meeting of the Faculty Student Council of Law

Date	2nd of October 2023 17:30 – 19:30	Location	Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, REC A, Room A2.15
Present	Sunmoon Stokhof, Youssra Aarab, Ege Kaynarca, Noor Heerema, Robin Blom, Jonathan Graf von Durckheim, Claudia van 't Ende, Stefana Feciuc, Hollando Bangun.	Absent	Livni Beck (Mandates Hollando), Francesco Liaci (Mandates Stefana), Jordi Ye (Mandates Hollando).
Guests	Bora Fidan (Projectcoördinator)	Secretary	Mirthe den Held

Agenda

Notes by the chair are written in cursive and are part of the agenda and the minutes, after publication.

1. Opening of the meeting

17:33

2. Setting of the agenda

Youssra: I want to talk about the PC meeting.

Sunmoon: We can talk about it during the PC updates.

Bora Fidan: Can we push my talk forward?

Sunmoon: Yes, it will be the first point.

3. Minutes of the previous meeting

Sunmoon: Any comments on the previous minutes?

Jonathan: I would like to know about confidential matters if I am not present during the meeting.

Mirthe: Maybe we can keep the confidential information in the minutes when we send it to the members and erase it when it gets published.

4. Review of the action-list

Jordi	Make a document with the division of files.	In due time
Everybody	Think about a solution to give the current council and future generations an accessible overview of their rights.	Within 3 weeks
PR (Hollando)	Make a video about the FSR for the faculty.	In due time
Hollando	Organize a traditional CoBo with a semi-formal dress code in January. Optional: contact AmstelHaven.	Before January
Claudia, Jordi and Hollando	Discuss new date of the CoBo.	In due time
Hollando	Will send info about Enactus and SIB to the council members. Will ask on Insta about students that may be interested in attending the ViDi panel.	In due time



Yousra	Will write to the new student assessor to join the PVs	In due time
Sunmoon	Should look into getting DeepL Pro for file translations Plan for the budget.	In due time

5. Introducing the project coordinator strengthening participation

Bora: Did the last council notify you of my position?

Sunmoon: We weren't notified of your position.

Bora: There was national research on the functioning of participatory organs, which resulted in the conclusion that not everything worked smoothly. The ministry gave universities funds to improve the situation, the UvA appointed a project manager to improve the situation.

CSR gave me 3 main assignments:

1. Raise the amount of voting participation.
2. Make sure that there are more people that are electable for the council.
3. Check what is happening in general.

One thing that I accomplished is that there was promotion of participatory organs during the intree week. I will also talk with the boards about your funds. I have been in boards of student organizations. I am a neutral party; I think about the processes.

Noor: Are you here to supervise?

Bora: No, I'm here to give recommendations. I will make agreements for FSR's, I create opportunities for you to do your work better.

Bora: Do you have any issues you're stuck on right now?

Robin: People don't reply to emails for extended periods of time.

Sunmoon: Knowledge transfer is an issue. This can be detrimental to the future generations of the council.

Bora: I will be mainly in contact with the CSR and the Koor. You can always email me, and I will help you or find out how I can help you.

6. Preparation of the next GOV on the 16th of October

Although the agenda by this point has been set, the proposals should be voted on to confirm the stance of the council on these proposals.

- a) Mid-term evaluations

Sunmoon: The agenda has been set. The OR and the Board don't have anything on the agenda. We need confirm our stance regarding the proposal.

Ege: I will summarize the proposal:

The current evaluations don't work. They are too long and impersonal. Students don't experience any benefit from them and small things that could be improved get lost.

Within this proposal, teachers can choose one of two options. This proposal doesn't intend to replace the current evaluations.

1. 15 minutes in class discussion.
2. Panel discussion apart from the tutorials.

After one of these options the coordinator, lecturer and tutors will meet to discuss if they want to implement any changes. This will increase the communication between the lecturers and the tutors.

Stefana: Maybe the in-person feedback can be done during the Q&A.

Ege: This proposal is for the entire faculty, in PPLE we don't have many Q&A session. Thereby in the lectures is less time to do something extra.

Stefana: Maybe in the masters.

Sunmoon: We can recommend both and let the board decide if they would like it in the lectures or the tutorials.

Ege: Can I change the proposal still?

Sunmoon: Yes, we can still change it.

Claudia: I am afraid that they are going to say that they don't have enough time for this, especially teachers. So, we should be prepared for this critique.

Sunmoon: That's why we will first discuss this with the OR.

Ege: I will write the amendment.

Ege: 'Reading of the amendment':

Stefana: Could you add Q&A's into the text.

Ege: Yes, I will.

Sunmoon: With that amendment in mind, should we vote.

Unanimous vote in favor of the proposal.

b) Hybrid teaching

Sunmoon: This will be postponed to the next GOV.

Youssra: We will talk about the library during the OV.

7. Updates from the Delegate to the Central Student Council

The delegate to the Central Student Council can use this agenda point to report on relevant activities at the central level.

Confidential

8. CSR: unsolicited advice regarding third-party collaborations

Stefana has requested FSR approval of this advice. The relevant documents can be found in the attachments.

Stefana: It was a very lengthy advice so I will go through it quickly. There should be more transparency of with which third parties the university works together. We have the right of information, but it still took 2 months to get to know about the third parties.

An example of greenwashing is the dual use of purposes, medical and fossil use of inventions.

The research shouldn't be demand driven by the companies and affect our education. I am the main file holder of research ethics, the humanities will vote on this, and I will talk about it with other faculties, we need broad FSR support.

Ege: I am in favor of it. We are one of the only positions that can research the funding. It will impact the academic legitimacy if third parties' sponsorships aren't transparent.

Stefana: They would want to make an annual report. The deans have too many powers and they are unchecked. The university basically gave Netflix advise to avoid taxes under the name of academic research. Zuid-as companies also reach the university, and we don't want to corrupt students.

Sunmoon: There are three main streams of income: The Government, Public organizations and Everything else, including third parties. The last one is a big part of our budget.

Stefana: It's important to have information on this. We don't want companies to dictate our education. We need to make them accountable.

Sunmoon: Who else is going to hold them accountable.

Stefana: We should include the OR in the Netflix scandal.

Claudia: Study associations also receive a lot of money from the Zuid-as. Law in practice also gets a lot of funding. I went on a study trip in May. I am not sure how much this affects our education.

Sunmoon: We should investigate this.

Claudia: Livni is the head of the Amsterdam law firm association.

Sunmoon: Maybe he shouldn't be part of these conversations. Study associations should make their budget public.

Claudia: The Amsterdam law firm is not a minor anymore and will become only for practical skills. We should ask Livni about it because he is up to date.

Stefana: We can also get information from the UvA. It's researchable.

Sunmoon: We can only do an information request on the education part. I don't think that there is anything going on here, but we should keep them accountable. It's part of the bigger question of third-party collaboration.

Sunmoon: Who is in favor of cosigning this advice?

It passes with 7 votes. 1 Blanco (4 abstain). 87.5%.

9. Updates from the Committees

The chairs of the Committees can use this agenda point to report any relevant progress on the files and any other business relevant to the Council.

a. O&O

- a. Ege: Last Friday we had a meeting. We still didn't receive an answer from Tom Blom on the hybrid teaching and midterm course evaluations. We discussed the midterm course evaluations and we talked about the OERS.

b. O&F

- a. Youssra: Hybrid teaching, budget, Campus development, meetings about diversity, reached out for the contemplation rooms. We are in full force working on our goals.

c. PR

- a. Hollando: Meeting with SIB. We got invited our first CoBo, next week on Friday at Bonafede. I want to organize a movie night in the next month, maybe we can give information about the FSR in the beginning, a get to know us event. I will make promotions during lectures.

10. Update on PC application procedure

PC application procedures was scheduled to happen between the 11th and 22nd of September.

Youssra: I want to talk about I said in the groups chat today regarding the introduction day of the PC's. I would like to apologize. I blew up quite unfairly. I have been hearing about how bad the PC's thought of us. I didn't read the mail right and they asked where everyone was. Now that I looked at the mail, I saw that the mail wasn't clear. I am starting not to believe them about how it went last year. Not all the committees were well organized and it's not our responsibility if they don't communicate well. If they aren't organized, they can't expect us to be there.

Sunmoon: If you have any complaints about them, you should just talk with them first.

Youssra: I don't have any complaints; I think that it will go well from now on.

Robin: Claudia, what happened last year?

Claudia: They didn't hear often from the FSR. Last year was my first time so I didn't know what to expect. You should ask Jordi about it.

Youssra: Most of the complaints come from the chairs of the masters. I don't think that they have anything against us, but it was unclear what everybody's role was.

Youssra: I heard from Jordi that something was not running smoothly. The rest of the PC's were happy that we were there.

Ege: Also, program committee members were not there today during the whole day. It was very unclear; the kick-off sessions weren't on the agenda. They didn't know that I was part of the procedure. I heard that the PC's and the FSR were working against each other or overlapping in the last years with several topics. So even if they are not trying to be active, at least the communication should be good. For example, with the hybrid teaching.

Sunmoon: We should get all the PC's signs on the hybrid teaching proposal.

Ege: The only problem is that the first meeting of the PC's is in November.

Sunmoon: I don't think that this would be a problem. We have enough time for the next GOV.

Other updates

Robin: We have 3 master students and one bachelor student because we didn't find enough people.

Claudia: We are happy with the number of representatives. We received an email from a student that he wasn't happy with the application process. We sent a response with how everything went. I am very curious about how this will go down.

Stefana: I am very happy with who we chose.

Sunmoon: In the future I will scratch this point from the agenda. I will bring it back when the meetings with the PC's will happen.

Robin: I heard that FSR members couldn't be added to the teams of the PC's because apparently there are confidential documents.

Ege: I heard that you must be invited to meetings.

Claudia: Last year only people would be welcome during the first hour.

→ Mirthe will ask José about being added to the teams. And what the rules are of the FSR members.

11. Computers in the library of the law faculty

We got an email from a former council member bringing up to our attention the removal of the computers at the library.

Sunmoon: The O&F committee already talked about it. We will ask more questions about this and add it into the survey.

Robin: Maybe useful to add into the email that people can ask for a laptop.

12. Elevators for council members

Sunmoon: This was requested by Jordi, and he is sick. I have not contacted anyone about this.

Hollando: This will be difficult because we need to contact facility.

Claudia: About Jordi, he sent an email without an attachment.

Sunmoon: I think that it was supposed to be about the division of files. We will get the letters of acceptance this thursday.



→ Sunmoon: Sent everyone a message about how to get compensation.

13. Voting on the amendments of the Faculty Regulations

We must vote on the amendments of the faculty regulations.

Sunmoon: We already discussed this, but we were still confused. After rereading and discussing it, we understand that that this makes the document more flexible and that these were exceptions to our right to consent.

Unanimous vote in favor.

14. Negotiating the FSR budget

It has come to our attention that we have the lowest budget out of all the FSRs, therefore we should renegotiate our budget. Which hopefully would allow us to plan for more activities and use tools necessary for the FSR's operations. For negotiations we need a new budget plan, based on other FSR budgets to reasonably ask for more budget. The other FSR budgets can be found in the attachments.

Sunmoon: We have the lowest FSR budget of all the councils. We got some examples of budgets.

Stefana: I have a document from the treasurer about how much money per person every faculty organizes. I can't share the document but only the table.

Robin: We should attach our argument to their values. For example, student participation.

Sunmoon: We have two arguments to get more budget. We should argue for student participation and professionalization of the FSR.

Ege: We should say that we want themed events.

Robin: There hasn't been a change in the budget for x number of years is also an argument. And the amount per student is also a good argument.

Stefana: This is why we need the consenting right to our own budget.

Claudia: Team building is also a good idea. In addition, loneliness under first year bachelor law students that don't make friends easily because they can't live in Amsterdam. It's also good to make events that are doable for students that don't live in Amsterdam.

Sunmoon: Maybe a VrijMiBo.

Noor: I think that it's more festive to organize something at a café.

Claudia: It should be close to the UvA.

Sunmoon: The campus itself it not very festive.

Ege: Mental health and balance workshops and trainings.

Noor: Not everybody knows that there is a doctor at the UvA. So it's good to inform students about the existing facilities.

Ege: I thought more about group activities and workshops.

Claudia: Students need to know that they are not alone. The housing problem also adds to a worse social life, people can't meet up at each other's houses.

Hollando: Contest give away.

Sunmoon: We can organize something during the intreeweek.

Claudia: Maybe a beer pong contest with the glasses that have an FSR logo.

Robin: When is our budget established?

Sunmoon: Our budget goes from academic year to academic year.

Hollando: Sports tournament.

Sunmoon: Making measured suits.

15. Other points raised during the meeting / general updates to give (WVNTTK)

Stefana: Why did people abstain from voting during for my proposal? I need to present this to the CSR so I would like to be able to explain this.

Hollando: I think that the UvA needs companies to work together with. And students also profit from this collaboration. I didn't know what the people think that I have mandates for so that is why I abstained for them.

Noor: I voted blanco because I think that the UvA needs money, and the university should have freedom to research want they want to research.

Robin: Do we normally have breaks in meetings?

Claudia: I would like a small break.

Mirthe: Normally we finish the meetings early, that is why we didn't have breaks in the past.

Sunmoon: I will take it into consideration.

16. Final questions

Mirthe will investigate the printing information.

Stefana: Should we do an evaluation? I liked our presence today; it motivates me to see that other people are making an effort. So, thank you everybody.

17. Closing of the meeting

19:30.

In the case of absence and/or mandate, please send an e-mail to Jordi.fsr.fdr@gmail.com & Sunmoon.fsr.fdr@gmail.com.

Action-list

Who?	What?	When?
Mirthe	Will ask José about being added to the teams of the PC's. And what the rules are of the FSR members. Will ask about printing rights of members. Will ask about her own rights as an employee.	Before the next PV
Sunmoon	Send everyone a message about how to get compensation. Inquire about the elevator situation	In due time
Ege	Meet with the OR about the proposal	Before the GOV
Hollando	Organize a movie night and promote this during lectures.	In due time
O&F committee	Inquire about the computers in the library and add information about getting laptops into the survey.	In due time