



2nd meeting of the Faculty Student Council of Law

Date	12th of September 2024 15:15 – 17:00	Location	Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, REC A, Room A1.05
Present	Robin Blom, Len Holstein, Zofia Rytel, Mihnea Loi, Livni Beck, Roza Wagenaer, Mitra Bamdad, Johannes Hüttner, Fabian Que en Youssra Aarab.	Absent	
Guests	-	Secretar	Mirthe den Held

Agenda

Notes by the chair are written in cursive and are part of the agenda and the minutes, after publication.

- **Opening of the meeting**

15:18

- **Setting of the agenda**
- **Minutes of the previous meeting**
 - Accepted.
- **Update from the CSR delegate (Roza) and discussing stance on CVB**

We'll prioritize this as Roza needs to go the CSR meeting. Everyone come prepared with stance on topic.

Roza: There is ongoing mediation between the CSR and the CvB. We are under quite some pressure because the CSR also wants to work on other topics this year whereby collaboration with the CvB is needed. We are weighing the options. I want input from the FSR whether we support the vote of no confidence.

Robin: Can you give us details about the situation.

Roza: The CvB didn't do anything with our advice about the tuition of international students. The CRS responded with a vote of no confidence. However, a Folia article showed that the situation is less severe than we initially thought. This is why the CSR is divided internally and why want to discuss it within the faculties. My personal opinion is that we should regain trust with the CvB.

Zofia: I think that regaining trust is crucial. However, there are some conditions that need to be met. I will leave it up to the CSR to decide what the needs of the students are.

Roza: It's important to know that the motion of no confidence is not a legal construct.

Johannes: Even though things are less bad than initially thought, it's also about the principle and how the problem was managed. It's not good to make profit of students. I trust the CSR in this process.

Roza: The mediation has been good. I think that the collaboration will be better this year because of it.

Robin: Was it a shared vote of confidence with the CSR and the workers council?

Roza: No, it's only from the CSR.

Zofia: Is everybody okay with trusting the CSR to move further with the vote of no confidence.

- Votes in favor of trusting the CSR to manage this process with the goal to regain trust.

- **Announcements**

- Zofia: Next week someone will visit the meeting to talk about sensors in the V-building.



- Zofia: On the 26th of October from 11:30 – 17:30 there is a UvA education day, who can join?
- Livni: From the 4th meeting on we will inviting individual members to the Daily Board meeting to talk about their role in the council.

- **Recap of the kick-off**

General feelings, what we've presented, works council priorities,

Zofia: Overall, it was good. The board really doesn't want to do hybrid meetings. They want to talk about budget cuts. I feel like they will take us seriously. They would rather talk about more broad picture ideas than about details and they encourage us to discuss matters in informal meetings. We need to be careful about bringing CSR topics to the faculty meetings.

Robin: The board decided by themselves that they don't want hybrid meetings. It's more complex than that, they never discussed this with us. Work agreements need to be accepted from both sides. It should be a broader discussion.

Zofia: They have had negative experiences in the past with hybrid meetings. For José's sake the meetings are recorded. We could talk about it in the pre-meeting.

→ Zofia & Mirthe will talk about the hybrid meetings in the pre-meeting.

Roza: Maybe people could get a formal exception to be present online. For example, Fabian who is currently in Spain.

Livni: About the evaluations, Myrthe said that we should hold off with the evaluation topic because they are working on a new website. And with the no laptop policy Mireille came to me and said that it would be settled. So, for now it's not necessary to work on these files and we should monitor how it goes.

Zofia: The workers council was also surprised that the comments on the evaluations are not working.

--> Mirthe must give Robin access to the website.

- **Review of the action-list**

Who?	What?	When?
Robin	Will update the website of the student council	In due time
Len & Friso	Will ask the new student assessor what his plan is concerning the relationship with the student council.	In due time
Robin & Youssra	Will make sure that the survey on AI is posted.	In due time

- **Student assessor selection**

Len: Myrthe told me that the applicant information is confidential.

Johannes: What is the scope of the role of the student assessor?

Len: They sit in on the board meetings on the faculty, it's someone who stands up for the interest of students.

- **Updates from the PR Committee (Robin)**

Status of slides for lectures and any progress on other ideas shared during previous meeting

Robin: We had the first PR meeting yesterday. Livni contacted Marleen Bakker. Len will reach out to them about collaboration with the faculty. I got an email from Brodi about collaborating on the networking Gala. The emphasis will be on creating the visibility of student councils. It will be in March.

They want 600 guests. Our responsibilities will be the same as last year and consists of a financial contribution and the invitation of guests. Our conditions are that councilmembers get free entrance to represent the council.

Johannes: Ask them how much money they expect us to gift.

Robin: Last year the amount that we contributed was based on how much costs they have left over after receiving sponsorship.

Len: I have the contact for the AIM marketing.

Robin: Can you put this in the chat please?

Robin: Thereby, we want to organize our CoBo this year, constitutional drinks. When would we like to organize it?

Len: It's a constitutional drink, so it's supposed to be organized when the year starts. I would recommend do it early in the year so that you can get to know people early in the year.

Zofia: That is a good point, we can organize something different later when Fabian is back.

Robin: Last year, we talked about promotion and the cups of the student council. I want to work together with Bora to get funding.

Zofia: The room for discussion has good hoodies, maybe I can reach out to them to see where they got it from.

Robin: Maybe Hollando wants to pick up his cup project once he's back. We want to do a survey to get the first years involved. We could collaborate with ELSA because they don't have much budget, but they can organize things.

Robin: Roll up event. Having a chair out to reach out to people. --> Robin will figure out if it costs rent to sit in a chair outside.

Johannes: I could help with the event. Mitra can also help. Robin: I expect everybody to show up.

- **Update from the treasurer (Mihnea)**

Update on the faculty funds and updates on budget planning

Mihnea: I will meet with Sunmoon tomorrow to tell you more about the budget.

From next week onward I will apply for your allowances. I will need documents from you. 2024 we are expected to get 6.2 million. So, in this budget we would get more than is predicted last year. So, I will have to look into that a bit more. Next year there will be budget cuts. PHD students will be the most affected. I don't think that we will be affected by the cuts a lot. Are there any projects that you're thinking of that require a substantial amount of money?

- Gala – More than last year
- PR – cooperation with other councils, more than last year
- 2 Weekends – Evaluation and Introduction. Amounts that have been used last year, things might get more expensive.
- CoBo – 1000 euro last year.
- CoBo gifts for other councils.
- Deaner.
 - Robin: For the deaner I would get external catering because it was not that good last year. So it might cost more than last year.

Mihnea: I would ask for an increase of our budget, but I can't promise anything.

Robin: I would push the idea of student- engagement.



Len: I heard that FNWI gets 17k

Robin: They do the funding based on the number of students, so I think that we are in line with that.
But I would push for an increase.

- **FSR FdR office rules and plans (Youssra)**

It's a mess and what do we want to do with it

Youssra: it's messy, there is a lot of old merch. Are there any ideas for the room?

Robin: In the past, we got standing desks and new chairs from the CSR. Ask the facility services if we can get new furniture, because we have the right every 5 years.

Zofia: We could all pitch in and clean up some things.

--> Youssra: Let's organize a 'fun' cleaning day. I will do it within three weeks.

Johannes: Maybe check if the computers work and look at all the technical stuff.

- **Other points raised during the meeting / general updates to give (WVNTTK)**

Robin: We never talked about the elevator thing again.

Zofia: I emailed the service people. They are willing to grant only me access to the elevators. We could meet downstairs before a meeting so that we can take the elevator together. In the A-building there are three elevators but the two on the right are staff only. The left one takes a lot of time.

Robin: Let's all send individual emails.

Zofia: I will email that person again for access for the vice-chair.

About the diversity office meeting

Johannes: It's a series of different workshops. Today was about the bystander effect. We are staying in touch with the diversity officer. It will be published for other students. The next one is on the 1st of October. There is another one in November. If there is more information coming, I will share it with you.

Zofia: Next week there will be a meeting with the chairs of all the councils. They had a media request for us. They want to make a social media post about a work position for a student.

Len: During last week's meeting I talked about anonymous grading. Because it is a policy it doesn't have to be in the policies per se. So, I'm not sure if it should be in O&O or O&F. So, we can propose amendments to the OER or do it through the program committees. Should I write a proposal and send it to the program committees?

Livni: You can work on the file from the O&O committee and write a proposal that the FSR needs to improve. After that you can bring it up at the OV or GOV.

Robin: I would suggest having an informal meeting with Candida to see if the OR would be open to working together on the topic.

- **Final questions**

Livni --> I want to vote on the dates of the evaluation weekend during the next meeting.

Fabian: Maybe next time you can sit closer to the screen I can hear you better.

- **Closing of the meeting**

16:39

In the case of absence and/or mandate, please send an e-mail to zofia.fsr.fdr@gmail.com & livni.fsr.fdr@gmail.com.

Pagina 4 ~ 5

Action-list

Who?	What?	When?
Zofia & Mirthe	Will talk about the hybrid meetings in the pre-meeting.	In due time
Zofia	Will reach out to the room for discussion about their sweaters.	In due time
Robin	Will figure out if it costs rent to sit in a chair outside of the university.	In due time
Yousra	Will organize a cleaning day for the office.	Before the 3th of October.

