



7th meeting of the Faculty Student Council of Law

Date	17th of October 2024 15:15 – 17:00	Location	Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, REC A, Room A1.05
Present	Zofia Rytel, Len Holstein, Mitra Bamdad, Johannes Hüttner, Roza Wagenaar & Livni Beck.	Absent	Hollando Bangun, Friso Tjittens & Robin Blom.
Present Online	Mihnea Loi, Youssra Aarab & Fabian Que.		
Guests	-	Secretary	Mirthe den Held

Agenda

Notes by the chair are written in cursive and are part of the agenda and the minutes, after publication

1. Opening of the meeting

15:19

2. Setting of the agenda

Green office meeting will be added.

3. Minutes of the previous meeting

No comments.

4. Attendance (Livni)

Livni: I made a document about the attendance during the PV from the minutes. I've you missed two or more meetings; you need make sure to pay attention to attend during the next blocks. Additionally, it's important that you notify me on why you're not here. The GOV attendance is even more important. The board is taking notice of us not being there. Attending the GOV is a valid reason to miss class. There is also council training attendance, there are also people that didn't explain why they didn't attend the meeting.

Mihnea: I've missed two PV's, during the scheduling of the PV I explained that I wouldn't be able to attend because of my tutorial. Individual and personal circumstances need to be taken into consideration. I would like to know how you will integrate these factors into this document?

Zofia: PV's and GOV's don't count towards your attendance. You are able to miss tutorials.

Mitra: I haven't received an invitation towards the DV meeting.

Livni: I don't want to go into it right now, we can talk about it after the mediation.

Zofia: Maybe Livni can change the absence of Mitra.

Youssra: My work has been conflicting with the PV's, it's not my intention to be absent.

Roza: Can the minutes be placed into the Teams?

Mirthe: Yes, I will do it after the exam week.



5. Information about financial training 11.10 (Mihnea) + Presentation of the published 2025 budget draft (Mihnea)

Mihnea: Last Friday, I attended the financial training. The first draft budget for the year 2025 was published, there is also a podcast about it. The government has cut the budget for education and tuition fees have increased. The UvA wants to make sure to not lose more money in the future. It was said that it is the duty of students to convince the government to invest more in education. We talked about ACDA and how the VU is sponsoring 45% while the VU gets more money than the UvA. They wrote a letter for the framework. Friso will translate a document for the budget because it is in Dutch and I don't understand it. I was more interested in the information about the Law Faculty. Is anyone able to translate this document?

→ Mitra will translate the financial document for Mihnea before the 28th.

Johannes: There were no crazy changes within the law faculty as far as I saw, the services for students got slightly reduced.

Mihnea: I don't know what student services means.

Len: Our task of overseeing the budget of the faculty is more important than getting our own budget. We should look at how much is allocated towards students.

6. Announcements

Zofia: Mireille van Eechoud will be the new dean and Sunmoon will be the student assessor.

→ Mihnea will have a coffee with the head of the green office.

Mihnea: I haven't received a response from Jaap Bakker yet.

→ Zofia will drop by his office.

Mihnea: I just got an email about the campus development form Niels.

7. Review of the action-list

Who?	What?	When?
Robin	Will repost the survey and add the FSR members to the post so that they can repost it. While emphasizing that it's quick. Will fix the toilet paper with QR-code project.	In due time
Roza	Will start a tiktok	In due time
Robin	Will make slides to present the FSR in lectures.	Before the 24 th of October.
Livni	Will plan a teambuilding activity.	In due time
Fabian	Will look into the text and speech accommodations.	In due time

Fabian: I will investigate the text and speech further. I haven't received an answer from everyone yet about the meeting.

Mihnea: When do we have to submit the budget draft?

Linvi: We already voted on the budget, so you can send it.

8. Update on O&F files (Johannes)

Johannes: We made a year plan. Accessibility and Hybrid teaching will be a priority. We are in contact with the AI department of the UvA. I send an email to the dean of PPLE about campus development. We researched out to the PPLE policy advisor. Additionally, we will work on mental health, we are in touch with the confidential advisor. We can make another reel with them. For period products, there is not much progress. For the PPLE alumni network, we are in touch with AIM. We are well on track for the next weeks.

9. Information about balcony committee (Johannes)

We received an email from the Green Office about the balcony at REC 3. Are there any suggestions? I will meet them and give an update.

Len: Maybe more places for individual people, instead of the big benches. It would be a more efficient use of space.

Linvi: Dual places and comfortable seats are important.

10. Update on O&O files and VPRP letter (Fabian)

Fabian: Roza will drop out of the O&O committee. She wanted to work on the flexibility file. She has difficulties on starting the file within the CSR. We decided that she will drop out of it for now and she might join a committee in semester 2 when her schedule is less packed.

Zofia: How do you stand on a year plan?

Fabian: We will make it, tomorrow after the O&O meeting.

Zofia: I would like to have the year plan before the 28th.

Johannes: I can send you the O&F document for reference.

Fabian: That would be nice.

Fabian: I will give an update about the course whereby they added material to the exam without previous notification. We send an email and we got an unsatisfying answer. I replied that it's still a violation of the OER. They came back with a response that they have a different interpretation of the OER. I went to the exam committee. They gave us a heads up that the response may take 6 weeks. I will ask them to speed up their decision making since the exam will take place next Thursday. The director of the masters asked me to ask them if they could hurry up with their decision.

Zofia: I am not familiar with the course material itself. They responded that the 1st week material is foundational. Could you explain more context?

Fabian: Week 1 cannot be tested implicitly.

Livni: They said that it's not part of the course. It's a different problem than foundational knowledge.

Fabian: We must wait for the decision of the examinations committee. Regardless of the content of the course or if it's easy or not, it's about the principle. Legal certainty is important, especially within the law faculty.

Linvi: We have the power to appeal to the decision.

Len: It's about the principle but it should be with the best interest for the students in mind, they should not be in uncertainty as what will be on the exams. However, we shouldn't let it drag on, we need to consider if we want to appeal.

Livni: We can ask in the groups chat if they would like to appeal to the decision? The exam is on Thursday.

Len: We shouldn't make a fuss about it just for the principle when it doesn't have big effects.

Livni: We could ask for a 'verklaring van recht'.

Fabian: It's about setting a precedent. It's about protecting students in the future.

Len: Did you request that it would only be a 'verklaring van recht'?

Livni: No.

Len: So, it might have actual consequences.

11. Points for the OV agenda

The OV is on 04.11, Monday 21.10 there is a pre-meeting. Please give me points to put the OV's agenda

Zofia: It is important that everyone attends the OV.

Livni: Maybe we can bring some points that we want to change in the OER to see what they think about it?

Zofia: I'm asking for the year plans of the committees. We will give specific updates on files.

Johannes: Depending on the outcome with the procedure of the course, it might be good to optimize the process.

Zofia: We could suggest it during the pre-meeting.

Len: We could talk about the midterm-evaluations. I would like to know what their commitment is on this issue.

At the kick-off meeting, Mireille talked about the house rules, maybe we can rediscuss it. We could ask for the reflection of the board. I am working on anonymous grading, until the OER deadline I will focus on the OER but I would like to bring my topic to the next OV. We can mention it in the year plan.

Zofia: They will read the year plan and would like to discuss things that they have questions on. We could ask the board for their insights of the budget, it might be something to bring to the students.

Len: We could come with some more specific questions about the budget.

Zofia: I will need to have specific questions by Monday.

Len: We received an email asking advice on the budget.

Johannes: We could look at it together.

Zofia: Can I ask everybody to look into it?

Len: I looked at it, and I didn't really find anything weird with it.

Zofia: I will set a deadline for tomorrow 3pm to give comments to the budget. → After that the advice will be sent.

→ Livni will text this to the groupchat.

Zofia: I will ask them if Fabian can be online to answer questions on the O&O files.

12. CSR legal advice on rules of conduct (Zofia)

See three files starting with [CSR...] please read them, might be useful for OV points

Roza: On the house rules, we will establish a task force and discuss it further with stakeholders. About mediation, the CSR is having a busy week. We had an emergency PV on Monday. Stefana has sent a draft version to Peter Paul about informing the FSR's. Me and Evana (from the faculty of medicine) have requested to talk about the FEB letter within the CSR. I will ask you if you would like to vote on it?

Len: For how long will the process of mediation be ongoing? I would not agree to send this email if the process has an end in sight.

Roza: It is unclear for us what the timeline is. I think that we should send the letter.

Livni: We have a ITK on the 8th of November.

Roza: As a part of the CSR, it would be good to know the stances of the different faculties.

Zofia: Would it be possible to amend the letter?

Roza: We could also draft our own letter. Evana has another draft that is more technical and nuanced.

Zofia: Could you get the other letter? We could vote on this through email.

Roza: I think that the medicine faculty plans on co-signing the FEB letter, we could also cosign it with a comment.

Zofia: Maybe you can give us an update after the PV of the CSR?

Johannes: It's also not good for students if money goes into the mediation instead of towards students. I am wondering why we are so set on the ITK while it's more of an executive board problem rather than a student problem?

Roza: The vote of no confidence has been controversial in FSR's before the ITK. From the perspective of the interest of law students, it's good to send a letter. It is a political decision.

Len: What will the note be like?

Roza: That we won't rush the CSR into making a decision but that we just stress the importance of the ITK.

Voting on cosigning the FEB letter with a note that we will make later.

- 9 votes in favor
- 2 votes against

→ Roza will send the medicine letter as soon as possible.

Legal advice on the code of conduct:

Roza: The CSR has requested another advice on the house rules. We are creating a task force now; within this task force we will create more awareness of this problem and to discuss if further with stakeholders. We are waiting for the next advice.

Livni: Is the goal to get rid of rules?

Roza: No, the house rules seem to be contradicting with fundamental rights such as the right to protest. Our goal would be to make the house rules in line with the fundamental rights. The house rules view the UvA as a private body, but when you consider the UvA to be a public body, the right to protest is broader, which limits the possibility for restrictions to the right of protests. We need to establish if the CSR has the right of consent to the house rules and if fundamental rights are breached.

Mihnea: Comment on point 4: 'conditions of demonstrations and protests. Staying overnight is not permitted. I do get why this is not permitted, but I do not see how this would disrupt classes or the fire protocols. I do understand the reasons behind it, namely the encampment last year, but I am curious how they justify it?

Roza: They see overnight protest as non-peacefully protests, which is stated in the house rules because it's outside of the opening hours of the UvA buildings.

Mihnea: We can ask their justification and more clarity on these rules.

Roza: I will check with Stefana, she is the file holder, we have the right of information.

→ Roza will ask Stefana about the house rule on staying overnight at the university.

Yousra: How does the CSR want the FSR to contribute to this issue?

Roza: It's more an CSR issue, we could write an unsolicited advice. We can always use the support of faculty councils but it's the responsibility of the CSR.

13. Recap of GOV

See file [GOV 14.10.2024]

Zofia:

- There are four trust persons: international, academic, students and general.
- Course evaluation: There is a new program: evalitiqs, it's in pilot phase, the focus will be on feedback and not evaluation. The rollout will be in block 4.
- Finance, the board is still gathering all the commitments. They are seeking external legal advice to interpret the text of the government. In 2028, UvA is expected to break even. Our faculty isn't that much affected by the budget cuts. The board is working on a statement about the financial situation.



- Concerning ITK, our faculty is fine because the faculty and the CSR will be separate. On the 26th of March there will be the reaccreditation for PPLE. Information about the impact of the vote of no confidence will follow soon.

14. Other points raised during the meeting / general updates to give (WVNTTK)

Johannes: The head of the library asked for advice. The law library is very crowded and students from other faculties study there as well, which isn't allowed. They asked us for ideas to prevent this.

Mihnea: Can we say that there is nothing to be done? I would say that it's not really an issue.

Fabian: The library can be really overpacked. Especially during exams, it's nice to have that sport reserved, even though I wouldn't know how to improve the security.

Mitra: They could implement random checks of student cards.

Johannes: If they see that people are handing on their cards, they do say something, but one entrance is too far removed to exercise control.

Zofia: The law library is also not that big. We could message that referring to the Singel library might be a solution.

Livni: We could tell the students with a Instagram message that it isn't allowed to bring friends from other faculties to the library.

Johannes: I will suggest the random checkups and a social media post that we could repost.

Mihnea: We could suggest putting up a poster. However, I think that it will remain crowded in exam season.

Linvi: We are the law faculty student council, and we represent law students. So, it is our business to stand up for them.

Johannes: I think that it's nice that they consulted us, and we should provide input.

Mirthe: Maybe add information about the different libraries to the poster, like the Singel Library that students can go to if they can't find a spot.

15. Final questions

Mihnea: What is the reel about?

Livni: It's promotion for the FSR.

16. Closing of the meeting

16:58

In the case of absence and/or mandate, please send an e-mail to livni.fsr.fdr@gmail.com.

Action-list

Who?	What?	When?
Mitra	Will translate the financial document for Mihnea.	Before the 28 th .
Mihnea	Will have a coffee with the head of the green office.	In due time
Fabian	Will send the year plan of O&O to Zofia.	Before the 28th



Everyone	Will give comments on the budget.	Deadline: 3pm, 18 October.
Roza	Will send the medicine letter.	As soon as possible.
Roza	Will ask Stefana about the house rule on staying overnight at the university.	In due time

