



14th meeting of the Faculty Student Council of Law

Date	17th of January 2024 11:15 – 13:00	Location	Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, REC A, Room A2. 12
Present	Livni Beck, Robin Blom, Len Holstein, Mitra Bamdad, Fabian Que, Roza Wagenaar, Friso Tjittens.	Absent	
Guest	Candida Leone	Secretary	Mirthe den Held

Agenda

Notes by the chair are written in cursive and are part of the agenda and the minutes, after publication.

1. Opening of the meeting

11:09

2. Setting the agenda

3. Minutes of last meeting

- No comments

4. Announcements

Let's send out when2meets and schedule next block already, Green Office social event.

→ The committee chairs and Mirthe will send out a When2meet for the next block.

5. Review of action list

Action-list

Who?	What?	When?
Everyone (who is able to)	Will attend the meeting on mental health. See email Johannes 'Sleep je imposter voor de rechter'.	12:30, 13-01-2025, A3.15 Roeters.
Roza	Will post a tiktok.	Before the next PV.
Fabian	Will email that we are not sending the chair or vice-chair to the OER and TER meetings but rather the O&O members.	In due time.
Hollando, Len, Livni, Youssra	Will read and prepare questions on the college of law year plan for the OV.	Before the OV on 13-01.

Fabian, Friso, Mitra, Robin	Will read and prepare questions on the Amsterdam Graduate school of law year plan for the OV.	Before the OV on 13-01.
Johannes, Mihnea, Roza, Zosia	Will read and prepare questions on the PPLE year plan for the OV.	Before the OV on 13-01.
Everyone	Will attend the student engagement table.	On the 14 th , 21 st and 28 th of January.
Everyone	Will notify Mirthe when they are on vacation.	From now onwards 😊
Friso	Will update on his meeting about the study rooms.	During the next PV.

Roza will post the Tiktok today. She will discuss with the PR-committee if it's also suitable for Instagram.

Len: Next Tuesday, Livni, Robin, Friso, Roza and Len will be at the student engagement table.

6. O&F Committee Update (Johannes)

Friso: We want to collaborate with student associations to make pictures of students for their linked-in.

Livni: I know a photographer who is affordable. Within the FSR, we have connections with study associations.

Friso: I had a meeting with Robin Vermeulen about creating more study spaces. He wants to focus on REC JK and C because faculties are not connected to these buildings. Further, I suggested to implement silent rooms.

Fabian: I saw that it is possible to see names and even what kind of courses students follow in space-finder. This harms the privacy of students and should be brought up.

Robin: Youssra told me about the focus-groups.

Friso: We want to work on students who have a false start with studying. We want to know how we can approach them best.

Livni: It could be through a canvas message, a flyer, or on the digital boards in REC A.

7. CSR delegate update (Roza)

Roza: Our OV was last Wednesday. We talked about the ethical guidelines. A working group has been started. There were mainly questions about how the framework has been drafted. We also talked about the house rules. There was a discussion between Stefana and Edith. The UvA explicitly stated their rights in the new house rules. Some people in the CSR have the opinion that the new house rules seem to be more about the positive rules that the UvA has, in contrast with the rights of students. For example, the UvA wrote down that they have the right to check the ID's of students. There are still technical discussions with the legal department. Further, during the meeting the CSR talked about the agreements that were made after the mediation.

Livni: But the rules were made to get clarity on the policies, right?

Roza: Some members of the CSR find that it seems like the UvA elaborated on their rights and didn't do this for students. But, the right to protest for students has been made explicit in the house rules. Even though these rules are official policy, it is unclear what effect they will have. The University says that nothing changed, the rules have just been written down. However, this could make the application of rights easier.

Len: Could you send the draft document on the ethical collaboration with third parties?

Roza: I will check if I can share this.

8. O&O committee update (Fabian)

Fabian: We are preparing the Q&A TER sessions. There were a few proposals that need attention. Mitra is researching the policy concerning breaks during lectures. Len will have a meeting with someone from TLC about anonymous grading. I will be attending a meeting of the AI-working group. I am curious if it would be permissible to use AI for references.

9. PR committee update (Robin)

Robin: Roza will post her TikTok today. Len will give an update on the student engagement table. I would like to post more study tips; do you have inspiration?

Livni: There is a new software to reserve rooms.

Roza: Maybe you could post about good working spaces around Amsterdam. Such as cafés.

Mirthe: Maybe events that are organized in the university.

Robin: We will be brainstorming with the CSR about the campaign for the elections. One of the ideas is personalized letters from the dean to students. Additionally, parties could present their ideas during lectures and explain the election process. We would like to inform students in April through the newsletter. It is important to give the elections attention.

10. Student engagement table (Len)

How it went + points from students

Len: The first pilot was a success. We will do this again during the next two weeks. I have sent you a document with the comments that we received from students; I categorized them into different subject.

Livni: It is clear that students have complaints about ALF.

Len: During the normal evaluations, it seemed like students were enthusiastic, so this doesn't reflect the experience of all students. Students are critical about the numerous deadlines, the fact that it is connected with another course, which means that you will fail both. Additionally, the workload is too much. I don't think that the FSR should take the stance that ALF should be removed, we can start this conversation to improve the course. Some students were positive as well. Who would like to gather more information before we bring this up during the next GOV?

→ Livni and Fabian will work on ALF.

Len: Our goal could be to write an advice. There is an overlap with the work of the PC. We could collaborate with the OR because a high workload for students translates into a high workload for teachers. Additionally, who can work on the tuition increase of PPLE?

→ Mihnea will consider working on this topic.



Robin: The tuition is determined by the faculty.

Mirthe: Dit was wel eerder tijdens een OV besproken.

→ Mihnea will work on more study places and tuition in PPLE?

→ Friso will work on study spaces?

Len: Another outcome of the table was that the study guides are not complete. O&O can pick this up.

11. Election timeline

The CSR needs out input by 17.01 in the evening, let's prepare an official stance and send it

Livni: Zofia has stated that she thinks that an extended election period might be negative for small parties.

Roza: I liked the extra time last year, it gives you more time to campaign.

Len: Extending the period can weaken a sense of urgency to vote. In PPLE, campaigning is something that costs a few hours a day. A period of two weeks causes more work for parties.

Roza: A possibility would be to provide a campaign period of 2 weeks and an election period of 1 week. I do think that there is too much responsibility for parties to create awareness. The CSR has a role to inform students about the elections.

Linvi: We can vote through email so that everyone can give their input.

→ The FSR will vote through email.

12. Visit from Candida

“The topic of ALF has been explained to her”

Candida: ALF and other forms of practical education are expensive. It is hard to have one opinion about this with the OR, there are different opinions. Further, budget cuts on the research side will have effect on the education. Within the OR, we aim to protect vulnerable employees who have temporary contracts. Cutting on research means that people will have to be let go.

Len: We would like to bring up the topic of ALF during the next GOV.

Fabian: Problems are the workload, students say that they don't learn that much and they are unhappy with the knowledge clips.

Livni: The ALF minor was successful. However, someone else has implemented the course and there was not much communication with the old coordinator, this is very much an experiment.

Candida: We could make this a broader discussion on educational renewal. I would like to ask Myrthe van Amstel if we can receive the document on educational renewal before the GOV.

Candida: I would like to hear the FSR's opinion on the graduation percentages. Within the OR, there are mixed opinions. Further, to save money, the faculty is considering downscaling on the lecture halls. Right now, big locations are rented, while after the first week, a lot of students stop attending the lectures.

Livni: It is true that a lot of students that start the law bachelors, do not finish it.

Mitra: Would a “numerus fixus” or selection help?

Candida: This had been done before, in 2015, the new policy led to a reorganization. A selection makes the threshold higher for students to apply. And still, not everybody stuck after the first year. The number of students was cut in half and this was not a good result.

Candida: to save money, there could be less lectures or lectures in smaller spaces. Has the FSR discussed this?

Mitra: Last year, during criminal law, there were not enough spaces for students, which led to complaints.

Livni: The FSR thinks that it is important that there is space for all students.

Candida: Hybrid meetings or Livestreams are very different. While livestreams work almost always, hybrid meetings are more difficult to set up.

Candida: The OR is also working on sick leave, social safety and the use of the buildings.

Mirthe: The FSR has been working on the building spaces as well, for example with the balcony at REC A3 and with study spaces.

Candida: We could talk about study spaces and the libraries.

Len: I am working on anonymous grading. It is a recommendation from TLC. It should be standard practice to ensure a safer environment for teachers and students.

Candida: The OR can discuss for which courses they would and wouldn't want anonymous grading. I don't think that it would work for thesis courses. Additionally, in some masters, only 2 students will take a resit, so it is impossible to make this anonymous.

Candida: The OR is not convinced of the midterm-course evaluations because it would create more workload.

Len: Explains that it is more an informal check-in.

Candida: Voices that she thinks that it is better to go the course coordinator when there are complaints. I thought that we discussed in a previous meeting that the TLC will make a collection of examples on how to implement the midterm course evaluations. It could be a menu card with different ways to implement the midterm course evaluations. This would help teachers. Maybe a pannel, a 10 min check-in or a short survey. This would help teachers in deciding what is the most suitable approach for their course.

→ The FSR and OR can talk about educational renewal, teaching forms and budget cuts, and anonymous grading during the next GOV.

- 1. Other points/questions**
- 2. Closing the meeting**

13:17

In the case of absence and/or mandate, please send an e-mail to livni.fsr.fdr@gmail.com.

Action-list

Who?	What?	When?
------	-------	-------



The committee chairs and Mirthe	Will send out a When2meet for the next block.	Before the next PV
Livni, Robin, Friso, Roza and Len	Will be at the student engagement table.	Next Tuesday
Roza	Will check if she can share the draft document of ethical collaboration with third parties.	Before the next PV.
Livni & Fabian	Will work on ALF.	Before the next GOV (10 Feb)
Mihnea	Will consider working on the topic of the tuition increase in PPLE	In due time.

