



2nd meeting of the Faculty Student Council of Law

Date	11th of September 2023 17:30 – 19:30	Location	Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, REC A, Room A2.15
Present:	Francesco Liaci, Sunmoon Stokhof, Hollando Bangun, Livni Beck, Jordi Ye, Noor Heerema, Clauda van 't Ende, Ege. Youssra Arab, Jonathan Graf von Durckheim.	Absent	Stefana Feciuc, Robin Blom → mandated Francesco.
Guests	-	Secretary	Mirthe den Held

Agenda

Notes by the chair are written in cursive and are part of the agenda and the minutes, after publication.

1. Opening of the meeting

17.32

2. Setting of the agenda

No comments

3. Minutes of the previous meeting

No comments

Francesco: name should be spelled correct.

4. Review of the action-list

Sunmoon: Reminder to send a list of goals to Jordi before Friday.

Division of files. Assume that everyone did that.

Jordi: Plan meetings of as a trust person, not done yet, in due time when Jordi knows his schedule.

Livni: File of renewal bachelor has been taken on.

5. Updates from the Delegate to the Central Student Council

The delegate to the Central Student Council can use this agenda point to report on relevant activities at the central level.

Francesco: No information.

6. Evaluation of the GOV on the 11th of September

We'll use this time the GOV and determine whether any further action is to be taken.

Jonathan: It seemed like a good atmosphere.

Ege: I'm not sure if they were enthusiastic about our ideas.

Sunmoon: We will get more time in later GOV's to present our ideas.

Jordi: It was nice. The workers council took the initiative to have a good relationship with us and to have a collaboration.



Sunmoon: We should pick up the hybrid proposal and continue to work on our relationship.

7. File division

Any (active) files that have yet to be distributed among the council members can be discussed here.

a. Hybrid teaching

This proposal was nearing completion, and the OR was in favour of this proposal as well. Tom Blom, chair of the OR, is the contact person for this file from the OR.

O&O committee

Livni the fileholders consist of: Francesco, Ege, Jonathan and Robin.

Sunmoon: How are the files divided?

Livni: All the files are divided.

Bachelor renewal: Claudia and Noor

Flexibility: Francesco and Ege for PPLE. Robin for Law.

Course evaluation: Ege and Francesco.

Tutorial grading system: Ege.

Ege: How should we create new files?

Sunmoon: It's a matter of what you prefer. You can pitch your idea first or you can make a proposal first and do a pitch later.

Ege: I have 4 proposals:

1. I would like to introduce 15-minute discussions in the middle of every course. These are interactive discussions between the students and tutors. Because it's in the middle of the course, the tutor can change something or give feedback.
2. Pannel discussions: Interactive feedback. We should schedule 2 extra hours within a course. Students who want to give feedback can join. This is also organized in the middle of the course. So that the course can be influenced while the course is still going.
3. Making the course evaluations from the past years freely available so it can be seen if feedback from last years has been implemented.
4. Tutorial grading: If there is more than one assignment in a course, multiple tutors will grade the assignments. This would be easy to implement trough canvas. The goal is to have more neutrality between students. Right now, people choose a certain tutorial to get better grades.

Ege: What does everybody think about these proposals?

Libni: I'm not sure if teachers and students would like to give feedback in the middle of the semester.

Sunmoon: I would go to the workers council. Let's work together with them and see what recommendations can be made. It needs to be feasible for them.

Francesco: Hybrid teaching was already proposed. It was shortened into accessibility, so it only counts for students with disability. The rest can access it two weeks in advance. I would like to reinstate the increased flexibility for working students. So, if people can prove that they work, they should get access to the lectures for 24 hours. I would first want to propose this on the workers council.

Jonathan: I like that idea. I'm not sure if we should put this all together. Maybe separate the two points.

O&F committee

Yousra: Budget, campus

Stefana: Period file, contemplation room, accessibility.

Sunmoon: Budget renewal and campus

There are a few open files: Coffee machines, high school visits, scholarship file, UvA wide tutoring has kinda been shut down, AI.

Sunmoon: Midterm evaluations will be handed on to the O&O.

Yousra: The big files have been divided.

Sunmoon: For AI we should wait for the task force. It can be postponed. Let's ask the board for information about the topic, maybe it's something for the CSR.

→ Ask the board about AI.

PR

Hollando: The main files of the PR committee are the deaners and the CoBo. We still need to hear about the budget.

Jordi: How many dinners would you like to organize?

Hollando: Two.

Jordi: I don't think that we need a dinner for the old dean. Just give him a present when he leaves, we don't need a whole dinner with him.

Hollando: We will discuss this in the PR commission. There will also be an event with the CSR about mental health.

Yousra: Are we going to do anything about these tabs?

Hollando: Last year there was an idea to hand tabs for law books out as a promotion stunt. It will depend on the budget if that goes through. Is it okay if I take a picture at the end of this meeting for the second PV of the year?

Sunmoon: That's fine.

→ Hollando: Discuss about the CSR about handing out roses for mental health.

Sunmoon: Any other things?

Francesco: Is the file division finalized now or can we still change things?

Sunmoon: Yes, there can be changes throughout the year.

Sunmoon: Can you create a document with the divisions of files, Jordi?

→ Jordi: That is the responsibility of each chair of the committees. Each chair can send me a list of who does what file, and I can make a document in Teams.

8. FSR FdR Internal Budget

We'll take a look at the realization of the previous budget and decide what cost items we want to increase or decrease. Keeping in mind our plans for the year.

Sunmoon: We have a budget of 6000. I will share the budget of last year on the screen. We can decide if we want to increase or decrease the cost of each item depending on the realization and our own plans.

Jordi: We didn't spend all the money last year. I would like to suggest spending all our money. The evaluation weekend was approximately 1000-1100 euro. So that is much more than the budget says. Introduction weekend is very important. I would have loved to rent out a house to get a better bonding experience. However, that was not possible within the past budget.

Promotional material

Hollando: Promotional material, 50 euro. An example of promotional material are stickers. We should hand these out as soon as possible because there are a lot of new students, and this is the best time of the year to promote ourselves.

Jordi: I think that this is fine.

Youssra: But we agreed on more last year, like 300 euro.

Hollando: Yes, but we already have stickers.

Jordi: I think that this came from a different budget.

Sunmoon: Does everybody agree?

- No comments, the budget will be 50.

Evaluation weekend

Evaluation weekend: We didn't have enough money last year, but we could make it by a financial injection of the CSR. So, we should raise this.

Livni: Are we getting money from the CSR again?

Sunmoon: We can't make the plan according to their plan. By how much should we raise it?

Ege: Maybe we should first decide if we want to go anywhere for the transition weekend. So, we can decide depending on that how much budget we have.

Jordi: I think that it's better to have a weekend away than to have a weekend where you see each other during the day. I am not sure if we can get money from the CSR. We can also move money during the year. So, I would suggest raising it and to move it away if we do get money from the CSR.

Youssra: By how much do you want to raise it?

Jordi: I want to raise it by 950. So, the total would be 1100. This will include the housing, the transport, the food and the drinks. I want it to be close to 1000.

Ege: Why did the PR didn't spend the budget of 300 last year?

Hollando: We only worked with one study association. And we expected on working with 5.

Ege: The CSR gave us money because they had extra money. So, we can't know right now if we get it this year.

Sunmoon: let's try to cover our own expenses with our own budget.

- Unanimous vote for a 1000 euro for the evaluation weekend.

Introduction weekend

Sunmoon: About the budget for the introduction weekend, any opinions?

Jordi: I would propose to make it 3000.

Ege: I think that our introduction weekend was good enough.

Jordi: My original plan was to go somewhere but the budget wasn't enough. It would have been a better bonding experience.

Sunmoon: I think that it's a good idea. I don't live in Amsterdam, and I had to travel back and forth. And we would have more time to do trainings. So, this is about going away, not to stay.

Hollando: I would say 2500 euro.

Sunmoon: Let's vote.

- Everyone except for Hollando agrees on the budget of 3000 euro for the introduction weekend.

Yousra: We can always relocate the money if we don't use it all.

Council room supplies:

Sunmoon: I would suggest 150.

Hollando: I would suggest 100. We bought a couch last year.

Sunmoon: let's vote on 100.

Everybody agrees, the budget is 100.

Bowling and dinner

Jordi: I submerged it with the introduction weekend. 400 is fine. I will use this budget for the evaluation and introduction weekend.

Hollando: We need to decrease something. So, I would say make it 100.

Sunmoon: A very big part of the budget is for unforeseen. This should only be 6% of the budget, not 20% like now. We should plan it out more.

Hollando: Last year, multiple expenses were put under unforeseen. The CoBo was in unforeseen for example.

Jordi: Because we got a big increase in the other activities, I could do with 300.

Yousra: Can we vote on 200?

Sunmoon: I would like to propose 200.

10 votes in favor, 2 vote against. The budget is 200.

CoBo:

Hollando: Last year, spent 650. We rented a place. 300 for drinks, but it went way above budget because we invited students too many who weren't part of a council.

Livni: Why was there a place rented out?

Yousra: That is common for these events.

Sunmoon. These events are normally only meant for board members.

Hollando: 650 is fine for now.

Jordi: I know the owner of Amstel haven, so maybe we can get it for cheaper. To be sure 700 might be better. I would like to make a good impression on other councils.

CoBo, gifts for others we attend.

Hollando: If we get invited to CoBo's, it's normal to give a gift. In the science faculty it's normal to make something of wood.

Sunmoon: The gift holds a story. It's a Dutch tradition. 50?

Everybody agrees, the budget is 50.



Deaners:

Hollando: Seeing the current budget decisions, I agree with Jordi to give the old Dean something less expensive. So just a gift or basket would be perfect. And we can keep the deaner budget at 500.

Youssra: There were unforeseen things like the attendance during the last deaner so 500 is fine and we can always get money from unforeseen.

PR study associations

Youssra: I think 50 because we need more for unforeseen.

Hollando: Events like an educational quiz don't cost that much.

Jordi: The study associations can also help to pay the costs.

Francesco: Why was there so much money in the unforeseen last year?

Hollando: The council member of last year wanted to have the money go to students and we put multiple topics under unforeseen and now we are going to plan it out.

Sunmoon: Unforeseen will be 350.

Sunmoon: This is in accordance with what I thought. We will accept the budget by general consensus.

9. Other points raised during the meeting / general updates to give (WVNTTK)

Office coordinator

Youssra: Did we appoint an office manager?

Sunmoon: We did vote for Jonathan.

Jonathan: Yes, that's right.

Sunmoon: The council room is a shared responsibility, but Jonathan will take charge.

10. Final questions

11. Closing of the meeting

18:58

In the case of absence and/or mandate, please send an e-mail to Jordi.fsr.fdr@gmail.com & Sunmoon.fsr.fdr@gmail.com.

Action-list

Who?	What?	When?
Sunmoon	Ask the board about the AI file	In due time
Everyone	Reminder to send a list of goals to Jordi before Friday	Before Friday 17:00
Hollando	Discuss with the CSR about handing out roses for mental health.	In due time
Jordi	Receive a list from each chair with the division of files and create a document in Teams.	In due time

